Mezzanine Mark

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Larceny

So I come back to America and amongs my three weeeks worth of accumulated mail, I find a letter from DSW Shoe Warehouse saying that while I was in England, someone hacked into their computer system and stole a whole bunch of credit card numbers. DSW had determined that mine was one of the ones stolen.

Two days later I get a call frommy credit card company seeking to verify if I had made purchases in great britain recently. I replied 'yes' ... at which point the person on the phone ran through the charges....and sure enough...one of them wasn't mine. As it happens the request was rejected and the charge was not posted to my account.

Though canceling the card and having to rework all of my automated bill payments is a complete pain, I have to give good ol' Mastercard serious props for jumping on it. They never knew I had received a letter from DSW..they just noticed suspicious activity and were proactive before I even had a chance to call them.

Here is the kicker... the mastercard guy [James] told me after I mentioned the DSW letter tha they had heard of the DSW theft, that in reality they have been on alert because ANOTHER FIRM had recently had there system hacked into that week..and ONCE AGAIN my card was int heir system. Two identity thefts in one week...possibly even on the same day al...and all when I was oblivious due to being out of the country? Surely that has to be some sort of record no?

Fun times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home