Yet Another NY trip Recap
Just got back from yet ANOTHER business trip to New York. It was a sucessful trip on all fronts, but as usual, I will leave the business side of things out ofthe blogger equation. I will say that this trip marked a breaking of a record for most expensive art piece I've seen sold live. At the Christie's evening sale I saw a sculpture go for $25 million. That's mere pocket change for me, but the guy who bought it must have been pretty excited. Also saw some Picassos, Monets, Renoirs, Cezannes, Manets, Rodins, Sisleys and Van Goghs fetch some nice prices indeed. Joan Miro also did well, though it's putting it lightly when I say I'm not a big fan of his work.
Only one celebrity sighting to report from this trip, but considering I was only there for two and a half days, that's not bad. It was none other than White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, who was sitting at the table next to me at lunch on Thursday. That there was no bodyguard with him confirms that Fleischer, despite his stature and close friendship witht he most powerful man in the world, is slightly below Michael Jordan on the "recognizability" scale.
Had a wonderful dinner with good friend and Dallas transplant Smitha, who now resides in a neat apartment in Tribeca. She took me to a trendy NY resaurant called La Zima, where we dined by pseudo-candlelight. I felt so very cosmopolitan and hip, and Smitha is a doll, so it's always so nice to see her.
Next evening after work, I caught a Puccini opera at the Metropolitan Opera House. Staggeringly good, and the sets were marvelous. Those of you who know me well, know that I like to frequent the opera, and I'm not sure it's possible to beat seeing one at the Met. Accompanying me to the event was a woman whom I met while on my networkng conference in San Juan, Puerto Rico last month. It was nice to see her in a different environment and to catch up; this networking thing really does work.
Only one celebrity sighting to report from this trip, but considering I was only there for two and a half days, that's not bad. It was none other than White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, who was sitting at the table next to me at lunch on Thursday. That there was no bodyguard with him confirms that Fleischer, despite his stature and close friendship witht he most powerful man in the world, is slightly below Michael Jordan on the "recognizability" scale.
Had a wonderful dinner with good friend and Dallas transplant Smitha, who now resides in a neat apartment in Tribeca. She took me to a trendy NY resaurant called La Zima, where we dined by pseudo-candlelight. I felt so very cosmopolitan and hip, and Smitha is a doll, so it's always so nice to see her.
Next evening after work, I caught a Puccini opera at the Metropolitan Opera House. Staggeringly good, and the sets were marvelous. Those of you who know me well, know that I like to frequent the opera, and I'm not sure it's possible to beat seeing one at the Met. Accompanying me to the event was a woman whom I met while on my networkng conference in San Juan, Puerto Rico last month. It was nice to see her in a different environment and to catch up; this networking thing really does work.

1 Comments:
Well, but Ari hasn't actually been the press secretary since July 2003, so he probably doesn't rate protection so much anymore. I bet Scott McClellan gets a bodyguard -- not that he probably EVER gets to have a leisurely lunch in New York! :)
By
Liz, at 7:29 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home