Mezzanine Mark

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Small World....Small Row Even....

So last night Blogger Liz, myself, and four or five others braved the utterly inexplicable windy cold that enveloped DFW to catch a performance of Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead at the Shakespeare Festival of Dallas.

Armed with blankets and little else (well we had pants and stuff, but you know what I mean) the group selected a row and filled up most of it minus a few seats at the end. I was the person in the group with a free seat next to me.

Well a minute later a girl walked to our row, sat down, looked at me and said "Mark! How are you?" I confess it took me a second, but then I realized that it was Heather, a girl whom I met while tubing down the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels, TX last summer. We had met on the same tubing trip where I first me my good friend Trina. Unbeknownst to me, Heather and Trina had also managed to stay in touch with eachother since that trip, so we spent some time discussing the weird connection and catching up.

All of a sudden, it was a couple minutes before showtime, and I decided I had better make a quick trip to the restroom before the show starts. The amphitheater was now sold out, and so the seats were all full. I squezed by Heather was moving through to the end of our row when all of a suddewn I heard someone say "Mark! Oh My god How ARE You?"

I looked down and there sat Margaret Boren, a good friend from both my high shcool days at Greenhill and my college days at UT-Austin. For those of you keeping track at home....my group took up all the seats in the row minus 3 or four, and in those four seats sat TWO DIFFERENT people whom I hadn't seen in well over a year. In margaret's case, it had been about two and a half years.

I thought she was living in Austin and attending UT Law, but turns out she's graduated and now is a lawyer in Dallas. We spent the rest of the intermission catching up and of course we are going to remain in touch now that we're both in the same city again. Oh yeah, and the play was well perforemd as well, though it almost became an afterthought behind catching up and STAYING WARM UNDERNEATH THE BLANKETS.

2 Comments:

  • I noticed that STAYING WARM UNDERNEATH THE BLANKETS was in caps. Are you trying to tell us something? I think that's code for "I CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT REALLY HAPPENED UNDERNEATH THE BLANKETS, EVEN THOUGH I'D LIKE TO."

    By Blogger Duncan Gilman, at 11:26 AM  

  • Oh Dunc!

    I put it in capital letters t emphasize how cold it was, not to suggest that there were naughty happenings taking place under the blanket.....but I like the way you think!!! LOL

    By Blogger Mark, at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home