Mezzanine Mark

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Back from NY.. did ya know I was gone?

Sorry for the hiatus people. I just got back froma business trip to NY city. I've been gone since early Monday morning.

As is customary on this blog I shant talk about the business part of the trip, however I can say that Jack Nicholson and I attened the same auction at Sotheby's. He even bid on and won (shock shock he can outbid anybody) a painting by an artist I admire.

Coolest part of the trip was catching the venerable Keely Smith, who was Louis Prima's singing partner (and wife) in the 1950's. For those of you who don't know, Louis Prima was a simply incredible cabaret singe.r Even though he's done TONS of amazing stuff, he's best known these days for two things...

1) Writing and singing the original version of the song "Jump Jive n' Wail' that the no-talent hack Brian Setzer covered recently and made huge all over again. Now his crappy version is heard on friggin GAP commercials.

2) Being the inspiration for the monkey "King Louis" in Disney's The Jungle Book. Yes it is Louis Prima singing "You say it's true-oo-ooo shooby did doo. I wanna Be like You-hoo-hoo shoody doobididy dah! I wanna walk like you! Talk like you It's true!"

Well Keely Smtih, now in her late 70's, STILL has an amazing voice if you can believe that...and the jazz band was awesome. I saw a legened. She also did numbers from her Capitol Records album "Keely Smith does Frank Sinatra" which was great, but the best bit was whe she sang my favorite Primna song "Angelina". Afterwards I had the opportunity to shake her hand and say how great it all was. All in all it was an incredible experience.

I also caught a Verdi opera at the Metropolitan Opera with mis padres and one of my favorite people in the world, my friend Smitha who migrated to Manhattan a couple of years ago. We caught the show even though she was slated to trvel to London very early the next morning. She's the coolest.

Got up at 4AM this morning to catch an early flight from JFK, arrived back in Dallas a couple hours ago, grabbed some lunch and headed for the ofice, where I write this note. Now I've caught you, the reader, up, it's time for me to be in full-fedged catch-up mode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home