Mezzanine Mark

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Pre Yom Kippur Rant

So tonight starts Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, the most important day in Judaism. The onset of this high holy day leads me to highlight an injustice I've noticed over the years.

The most important Christian holidays (easter, christmas etc.) involve huge feasts and lots of present giving or fun scavenger hunts and cadbury's mini-eggs while thanking God for forgiving their sins and spending marvelous time with family.

In contrast, Yom Kippur, according to scripture, offers the super-fun prospect of starving yourself with no food or water from sundown to sundown while beating yourself up about how horrible you've been for the past year and begging for God's forgiveness even though you don't deserve it.

And let us not forget the invariable post-services Yom Kippur phenomenon of "turn on the tv, and catch that brand new strawberry fondue advert that has the extreme closeup of the lady with manicured nails dipping her overly lush ripe strawberry into creamy milk chocolate, before licking her lips in apparent overwhelming satiation." To that i mimic rumored Jew Ebeneezer Scrooge when I say "Bah!..... Humbug!"

Yup, it sure looks like the Jews got the short end of the stick on this one. Stupid morbid ancestors... why can't we have holidays with cute bunnies? I wish to submit a formal protest with the lord almighty. It's ok, don't worry about me dear readers. In a few short hours it will be sundown, and thus the start of Day of Atonement so I can atone for this post without having to wait a full year.

Moreover, Cabury's mini-eggs should be available year round! Depriving the people of this basic food group is a mortal sin in of itself. Though I guess by expressing this I am engaging in the sin of gluttony. There's just no way to win. Pray for me!

8 Comments:

  • Mark, you can blame the Romans.

    See, as Christianity spread through the Empire in the 4th century, the people who converted because "it was the thing to do" missed out on the really cool pagan holidays with their feasts and games and gift-giving and such.

    So they took the best parts of the pagan holidays and applied them to the Christian ones.

    Heck...they even moved Christmas to coincide with the Saturnalia.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:50 AM  

  • Mich,

    You pretty much nailed me on Lent...but I still beleive that Easter and Christmas are higher up on the Christian Totem Pole. Christian Totem pole? Wow come to think of it, that's a pretty weird meshing of traditions.

    And I can't believe you've been withholding a huge bag of mini eggs from me! Did you hide them in a secret compartment in the fridge like you used to do with the cokes?

    By Blogger Mark, at 10:22 AM  

  • Matt,

    Shoulda figured it was the Romans...It's always the bloody Romans!

    Hooray for the pagans! Their lasting contribution towards history is providing us with a holiday where kids can stuff their faces with Sugar Babies.

    And the Romans get extra credit for deciding Haloween was one Pagan tradition to keep around. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Romans have a holiday based around the Goddess Flora, where converted Pagan rituals and dances were performed in an attempt to yield a sucessful Spring season?

    By Blogger Mark, at 10:29 AM  

  • ahhh...chin up...as far as I can tell (from my YEARS & YEARS and more YEARS of experience in the Wonderful world of Retail) Christmas seems to bring little more than stress to people...all for a pair of socks...and maybe an ugly sweater...as well as loads of credit card debt! (We even invented a "no Bitching rule in our house in an effort to quell complaints...)
    and I won't go into the nasty veal sausage/ cream concotion my Dad insited we have one christmas...I am still trying to recover from that year...
    as for easter...nothing puts a damper on things like your mom telling you that the easter bunny won't hide any eggs if you don't dye them for him...as he is simply too busy to do it himself...but ahhh...getting to eat loads of dyed hard boiled eggs for days after...and maybe finding one or two in the backyard in the hot JULY sun...what could possibly compare...ยด
    I'll bring you some chocolate from Switzerland...in a normal shape...like a block...
    Happy Yom Kippur
    xoxoxo
    C

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:49 AM  

  • Ramadan is tough.... but if you get up early you can have a mondo breeakfast of champions, and after the sun goes down you can have a huge feast every day. Not saying its fun...especially for a whole month..but it is a bit different.

    I remember that during Ramadan my GHS friend Sohail would sit in the cafeteria and watch us all eat fun fruits and those crappy chicken drummy things and not say a word...or drink a beverage. Always felt bad for him.

    By Blogger Mark, at 6:09 PM  

  • Christine you make a great point... I guess the mistletoe is always greener on the other side.

    Speaking of mistletoe, how great is that concept? You're in junior high school....you've had a nervous crush on some JV cheerleader who you're too embarassed to approach...andthen lo and behold...christmas time rolls round. If you find yourelf under the mistletoe, it's expected and totally socially acceptable to kiss her....PROBLEM SOLVED!

    As for Easter..yeah that rotten egg thing sounds pretty rough....gotta give you credit for that one Christine.

    By Blogger Mark, at 6:12 PM  

  • I have always found the variety of elements that combine to form the cumulative Easter holiday to be rather baffling.

    I mean...palm fronds. Crucifixion and resurrection. And bunnies. And...eggs...dyed eggs, at that.

    Of course, I guess its not different than the birth of Jesus, the profusion of lights, and the whole "fat guy on a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer" fiasco that is Christmas...

    Oh well...the Romans also had a holiday called the Lemuria during which they would scatter beans around their house to exorcise the "bad" ghosts of the dead from them. The "good" ghosts (Casper, et al.) were allowed to stay...though what throwing beans over your shoulder has to do with exorcising ghosts is beyond me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 AM  

  • "Casper et all" LOL I never knew Casper was a Roman ghost! For the record, I loved Casper the friendly ghost as a child.

    As for Lemuria, I can actually see a connection between beans and things being exoricised...think Blazing Saddles....but I won't get into that.....

    By Blogger Mark, at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home